So today Im working from home.. a few reasons .. but the # 1 reason is weather related ! We are experiencing a nor’easter.. you know sideways snow, heavy winds and a scattering of ice .. its a mess.. with that said, working from home was a no brainer.
Sitting at my desk and looking out of my windows.. I couldnt help but think about soup.. I mean what else do you think of on a day like today? So soup it is.. but, I had NO broth in the house and I wasnt even sure I had ingredients for anything special…. until, I came up with this…
Spicy lentil, tomato, carrot, celery and spinach soup. OH YEAH..
Many of you know Im a crock pot kinda girl.. I just love the ease of the slow cooker.. not to mention the flavor it adds ( or so I think) to my crazy recipes.. with a long happy marriage of slow cooking.
- 2 cups lentils – rinse and sorted ( any kind that you like will work)
- 8 cups of water – yes I said water.. cause I had no broth.. if you wanted a little more flavor, Id use 4 cups broth ( veggie or chicken) and 4 cups water but for today.. we used all water
- 15 or so cherry tomatoes cut – its all I had .. so use a regular tomato.. Id say about a cup?
- a few ribs of celery – diced .. this recipe I used 4 .. again.. all I had
- 2 BIG carrots – diced.. again.. use more if you’d like.
- 4 cloves of garlic – minced ( not sure Id use more?)
- a few handfuls of baby spinach.. I think I used 3
- a few drizzles of oil – I used sesame for sautee
- tsp of cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Portobello mushroom.. if you like for garnish
- Add water ( or broth and water ) to slow cooker with lentils , cumin, pepper and salt
- In pan heat oil with garlic.. when hot stir in diced carrots, tomato, and celery.. sautee a bit till “done” maybe three minutes on medium.. just to get flavor of oil and garlic
- Add all veggies to lentils in crock pot
- Turn to high heat for 3hours
- At 3 hour mark.. add chopped spinach
- If soup is boiling.. turn to medium/low and let cook for 4 more hours
- Serve as you’d like .. as a meal or a side?
- Top with sliced and grilled portobello
Create a great day !