This year I hosted my family for Rosh Hashanah Dinner ( Jewish New Year) …. and I thought Id share some of our traditional family recipes.. in case any one is interested..
Brisket in the crock pot.. ( shhhhhh…… mom doesn’t do it this way )
- 4 – 5 lb brisket ( trim fat but leave a little)
- Oil for skillet
- 2 yellow onions – thick cut
- 2 cloves of garlic – minced
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup ( I used organic)
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
Heat skillet / oil … sear brisket on both sides.. just browned in same oil … caramelize onions in bowl add all other ingredients and stir. Put brisket in crock pot and onions on top… if brisket does not fit.. cut to fit ( pieces are ok.keep them large) pour liquid over the brisket cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours. Make sure brisket is covered with “sauce” When finished brisket will shred… I cut it in thin slices and covered with onions and sauce..
Jewish Chicken / Matzah ball soup
- 1 whole organic chicken ( seriously .. it tastes better )
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 8 large carrots peeled and cut as you like
- 2 large parsnip
- 3 cloves of garlic – crushed
- 4 stalks celery – cut in pieces
- 1 bunch of fresh dill
- 2/12 cups matzah meal
- 6 eggs
- 6 tblsp veg oil
- 2 tsp salt
In a big POT add all ingredients for soup cover all with water… about 3 inches from top of POT.. add salt and pepper to taste… partially cover and cook on low /simmer for 3 hours.. do not boil.. skim fat and simmer for another 2 hours.. take chicken out of pot and take off skin and shred meat from the bone .. discard of fat and bones .. put meat back in to pot
Just before serving.. heat soup to a slow rolling boil.
In a bowl mix the matzah meal, eggs oil and a 1/4 cup of soup broth.. mix and let stand in fridge for 20 mins.. then using wet hands .. form the matzah into walnut size balls.. and put in the boiling water.. turn soup to simmer.. and cook matzah balls for 35 mins.. Serve.
Sweet apricot kugel
- 12 oz wide egg noodles
- 6 large eggs
- 8 oz sour cream ( I used light)
- 8 oz cottage cheese ( I used light)
- 8 oz soft cream cheese ( I used light)
- 1/2 cup Apricot Jelly – I used low sugar – you can leave out if you want to .
- 3/4 cup sugar ( I used stevia… don’t tell my family)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter – melted
- cinnamon and chopped apricots for topping..
Boil water and cook egg noodles as normal/ drain and LET COOL … in a big bowl after noodles are cooled .. mix all ingredients to noodles .. except the cinnamon and apricots. Spray a 9 X 13 or 8 X 8 pan with cooking spray (I used 8 x 8 for a thick kugel ) and add the mixture to the pan… sprinkle top lightly with cinnamon and chopped apricots Cover with tinfoil and cook on 350 for 50 minutes.. then take off the tinfoil and cook for another 10 minutes to get top brown. .. let cool before cutting. I prepare this at least one day prior to serving as it gets better as it sits together in fridge.. serve warm or cold.
Cherry Chicken and Barley with Mushrooms
- 1 bottle of chili sauce ( its red ..looks like cocktail sauce? )
- 1 small sweet onion – chopped
- 1 cup of water
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup cooking port wine
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 can pitted BING cherries
- 3 chicken breasts, 4 chicken thighs, 2 drumsticks, 2 wings ( or the 10 pieces that you like )
- salt and pepper to taste
- Box of barley ( serving 6)
- 1 cup mushrooms of choice – chopped
Brush chicken with olive oil , salt and pepper and lightly broil to get skin brown.. add all ingredients ( onion, water, sugar, raisins, wine, cherries ) to a bowl and stir.. pour over chicken ( I use a disposable pan btw) bake 1 hour 325 degrees . cover and put in fridge .. before serving ( next day ) cook for 30 mins on 350
Sautee mushrooms and add to prepared barley … (day of serving )
Serve chicken over barley with generous portion of “sauce” or gravy…. enjoy…and Happy New Year !